On July 15th 2016, a faction of the Turkish military attempted to overthrow the Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government. Erdogan's loyalists quickly rallied and squashed the attempted coup. In the aftermath, Erdogan blamed the reclusive U.S. based cleric Fethullah Gülen for the coup and demanded his extradition to Turkey. In this week's episode Mike and Danny discuss Gülen and his followers as well as the probability of him being behind the failed coup.
- Özçelik, Özge, "A Decade of the Gülen Movement on Wikileaks: More than meets the eye," Daily Sabah
- Hendrick, Joshua D. "Turkey's Gülen: Public intellectual or coup plotter," The Wire
- Cizre, Ümit, "Turkey in a Tailspin," Middle East Research and Information Project
- Aydin, Enis Erdem, "Why are the Gülenists Hostile to Iran?," al-Monitor
- Luttwalk, Edward, "Erdogan's Purge is a Sectarian War," Foreign Policy