In July, the Turkish government agreed to join the international coalition against ISIS. When the Turkish military began conducting bombing raids against ISIS, it simultaneously began conducting airstrikes on Kurdish areas in the Iraq and Syria. The Kurds have been at the fore front of the fight against ISIS and Turkey's actions against Kurdish targets have prompted questions about Turkey's motivations. In this week's episode Mike and Danny discuss the politics and motivations behind Turkey's actions.
- Abdullah, Namo. "The Time of the Kurds," CFR
- Filkins, Dexter. "The Fight of their Lives," The New Yorker
- Ottaway, Marina and David. "How the Kurds got their Way," Foreign Affairs
- "Awkward Allies," The Economist
- Gunes, Gengis; Lowe, Robert. "The Impact of the Syrian War on Kurdish Politics Across the Middle East," Chatham House